The RemoteManager is controlled by a configuration block in the config.xml.
The remotemanager tag defines the boundaries of the configuration block. It encloses
all the relevant configuration for the RemoteManager. The behavior of the RemoteManager is
controlled by the attributes and children of this tag.
This tag has an optional boolean attribute - enabled - that defines whether the service is active or not. The value defaults to "true" if
The standard children of the remotemanager tag are:
- port - This is an optional integer value. This value is the port on which this POP3 server is configured
to listen.If the tag or value is omitted, the value will default to 4555.
- bind - This is an optional value. If present, this value is a string describing
the IP address to which this service should be bound. If the tag or value is absent then the service
will bind to all network interfaces for the machine.
- useTLS - This is an optional boolean value. If this value is true, then the "ssl"
server socket factory is used to generate the server socket for this service. If it is false, the
"plain" server socket factory is used. In either case this behavior is overridden by the serverSocketType
tag which is described under the expert configuration options.
- handler - This is an artifact preserved for backwards compatibility. This tag
was used to group related parameters. It should disappear in future versions.
- helloName - This is a required tag with an optional body that defines the server name
used in the initial service greeting. The tag may have an optional attribute - autodetect. If
the autodetect attribute is present and true, the service will use the local hostname
returned by the Java libraries. If autodetect is absent or false, the body of the tag will be used. In
this case, if no body is present, the value "localhost" will be used.
- administrator_accounts - This is an required container tag. It contains
one or more administrator_account elements, each of which has a login attribute
and a password attribute. These two attributes correspond to the login id and password for the
administrative account respectively. Obviously, for security reasons, these should be set upon James installation.
- connectionTimeout - This is an optional tag with an integer body.
There are a few additional children of the pop3server tag that are appropriate for advanced
configurations. These should only be used by expert administrators. All tags in this group are optional.
- serverSocketFactory - This is an optional tag with a string body. If the tag is present,
the body must be the name of one of the server socket factories specified in the socket manager block. Any other
value will result in an error. If present, this tag overrides the useTLS tag.
- threadGroup - This is an optional tag with a string body. If the tag is present,
the body must be the name of one of the thread groups specified in the thread manager block. Any other
value will result in an error. This tag is best used to fine tune thread allocation between the services.
- connectionLimit - The connectionLimit parameter specifies the maximum number of client
connections that this service will allow. If no value is specified, the value defaults to that specified in
the connectionmanager block. A value of 0 means that there is no limit imposed
by the service, although resource limitations imposed by other components
(i.e. max # of threads) may serve to limit the number of open connections.